Don’t Forget The Garden During The Summer Holidays
Despite the rain we have had over the last few weeks, which has been a relief to many gardeners who have been hit by drought restrictions, it’s essential to maintain garden watering as we go through the summer – particularly pots, hanging baskets and covered vegetables that can dry out quickly.
To keep gardens looking their best throughout the holidays, when you take off to sunny shores or holiday destinations, it’s important not to forget that gardens still need to be watered. We have put together holiday watering hints and tips to help you keep your garden alive with an array of vibrant colours as plants and flowers showcase their full colour and the very best displays.
This is one of the best times to enjoy the rewards of all the hard work and preparation that you have been carrying out throughout the year as the garden takes centre stage. We have put together holiday watering hints and tips to help with vital summer garden maintenance – and maximum enjoyment of your garden.
Hozelock Summer Hints & Tips
- Make sure your plants get plenty of attention while you are away. Invest in an automatic watering kit, the Holiday Watering Kit includes easy to use Aquapods to distribute water to your plants (winner of the Waterwise Marque of approval), which can use up to 90% less water than a standard hose and gun.
- User automatic water timers to provide a regular flow of water to the garden and plants when you are away. Automatic Garden Water Timers are easy to programme and ensure your garden sprinklers are timed to provide the required amount of water.
- Water plants in the morning to reduce evaporation and conserve water, use spray guns with a Trigger Nozzle on your hosepipe, which can halve the water used and direct the water flow to the roots of your plants.
- Say goodbye to tangled hoses with the Hozelock Auto Reel wall mounted
automatic rewind hose. The Auto Reel automatically rewinds the hose with no kinks, tangles or effort and is perfect for watering plants in gardens of any size with its 10m, 20m, 30m or 40m version.
- Where possible cut grass weekly, long grass takes more nutrients out of the soil and is also harder to cut and may leave yellow patches in the lawn.
- Prepare bedding plants and hanging baskets, which will continue to add riot of colour through the summer and often into the autumn. Before planting, mix some Water Storing Gel into the soil – it will help to reduce the amount of water required by up to 90%.
- Aphids can be a problem on roses and other plants. Use an anti-aphid spray in a Pressure Sprayer to protect your prize blooms.